Sunday, July 18, 2010

This Week's Dinner Menu

Hello all...it's another scorcher here in Denver this weekend.  102 degrees!  Even without humidity, 102 is H-O-T!  This week's dinner menu is pretty simple and has a carryover meal that I didn't make last week. 


Sunday : BLT Pasta
Monday : Chicken Taco Salad
Tuesday : Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Wednesday : Catfish with Brown Rice and Mixed Vegetables
Thursday : Grown Up Grilled Cheese and Broccoli
Friday : Bennett Special
Saturday : BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Sweet Potato Fries


The cable that connects my camera to my computer is damaged, so I won't have any photos up quite yet, but am working on being able to take some very amateur photos of the meals I prepare.  Hopefully, I will be able to share pictures soon. 


BLT Pasta
12oz Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
6 pcs of Bacon cooked to crispy, delicious bacon-y goodness
1 Medium Tomato (I used a Beefsteak tomato, but a Roma would be good, too)
1 Handful of Spinach
1 Jar of Prepared Alfredo Sauce or make your own (recipe to come)
Parmesan or Asiago Cheese if your heart desires


Boil pasta according to package directions, ommitting salt and fat (usually 10 - 12 minutes).  While pasta is boiling cook bacon in non-stick pan until crisp.  Drain bacon and remove as much fat as possible.  Reserve a tsp of the bacon fat in the pan and throw in your handful of spinach.  Let it wilt slightly.  When the pasta is done, drain and return to pan.  Add Alfredo sauce and let warn through on a burner turned to low heat.  Add spinach and bacon and let continue to warm.  Dice the tomato and fold into pasta.  Voila - BLT Pasta!  If you're so inclined, garnish with a bit of parmesan cheese or shaved asiago. 


I dreamed up this recipe after Wes' mom suggested BLT's last weekend. 


So...here is how I think this blog is going to work. 


I will try to post the week's menu on Sunday or Monday along with at least one recipe from the menu.  On Tuesday, I will focus on the shopping and budget for the week.  PS - this week's menu only cost $28 and no, I didn't have most of the items at home already.  I'll give you the tips that I use for shopping smart (or at least as smart as I can) and if there were any amazing deals at the local grocery chains for those of you in the Denver area.  I do typically buy my groceries at two different places : Wal-Mart (I know I know, but whole wheat pasta for $0.88 a box and 16oz blocks of cheese for $2.50 cannot be beat...anywhere and these are regular prices) and Sprouts or Sunflower Market (depending on who has the better produce prices).  Wednesday or Thursday, I will try to give you more recipes and Friday or Saturday will include budgeting tips, planning tips, food storage tips and tips for living a good life, which is what this is all about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment